Nutbrown Review: 'all early years staff should be qualified to Level 3'
Professor Cathy Nutbrown has recommended that all staff working with children in early years settings should be qualified to at least Level 3.
The recommendation, which applies to staff counting in the child: staff ratios, is among 19 made by Professor Nutbrown in the final report from her review of early education and childcare qualifications. Those that will impact directly on settings, if implemented, are outlined in full below:
The EYFS requirements should be revised so that:
- from September 2013, at least 50% of staff counting in the child: staff ratios must be qualified to Level 3
- from September 2015, at least 70% must be qualified to Level 3
- by September 2022, all must be qualified at level 3.
- Level 2 English and mathematics should be entry requirements to Level 3 early education and childcare courses.
- Only settings that are rated ‘good’ or ‘outstanding’ by Ofsted should be able to host students on placement.
- Newly qualified practitioners starting in their first employment should have mentoring for at least the first six months. If the setting is rated below ‘good’, this mentoring should come from outside.